Voices from the field
Donate Us
Forthcoming Events
Activities and Meetings
Print E-mail

Dr. Rahul Kulkarni’s Profile

Name: Dr. Rahul Kulkarni
Qualifications: MD (Med), DM (Neuro), DNB (Neuro)
Specialty: Neurology
Date of Birth: 15/04/1971
Address: Clinic: Mastishka Neurology Clinic, 4th floor, Akshay Center, Opposite Pandit Auto, Tilak road, Pune 411002
Residence: A 202, Nakshatra apts, Opposite Meenal Gardens, Erandawane, Pune 411004
Phone No: 020 24475927
Mob: 09822012588
E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Comments (14)Add Comment
Stegaru Ana-Maria
May 13, 2009
Votes: +1
i want children


My name is Ana-Maria and i am form Romania (Bucharest). In 2001 i have diagnosed with Hodgkins disease, i have tretament with citostatic and radiologic medicamentation. In 2006 i have diagnosed with epilepsy. I make treatment with Mirtazapinum 30 mg-15 tables, Betahistinum 8 mg-120 tablets. Vincamimum 30 mg-180 tablets,Lamotriginum 100 mg-180 tablets,Oxcarbabazepinum 800 mg-180 tablets,Acidumvalproicum 500 mg-90 tablest per 2 months,
I want make children in few yeas. It is possible?
Thaks for your support.

PS. Excuseme for my english

Dr. Rahul Kulkarni
May 13, 2009
Votes: +0
Re: Stegaru Ana-Maria - i want children

Dear Ana,
You are on two antiepileptic drugs. Oxcarbazepine and lamotrigine. Mirtazepine may be for depression and betahistine for dizziness (vertigo). I do not know other drugs.
You can plan for pregnancy. You must understand following points
1. Wit drug there is a minor chance of having some problem to babies. Of course you do serial sonographies and certain blood tests to look for any major complications.
2. If possible, ask your doctor to change your schedule from two to one drug. This depends whether your epilepsy is well controlled or not.
3. Take 5 mg of folic acid per day.
4. Do not drink alcohol and stop smoking if you have any of these habits.
5. Ask your doctor whether your Hodgkin disease, or its treatment will trouble you for pregnancy.
Best of luck
Dr Rahul Kulkarni
Pune, India

June 29, 2009
Votes: +0
Weak left side

Hello Doctor,
For about the past 3 months intermittently I have been experiencing weakness and a slight tingle all along the left side of my body, Foot pain, up my leg and down my arm, also on the left side of my face. It feels weaker than the right side of my body. In the morning I feel my left side very numb, but regaining almost full feeling in about ten minutes. the tingling and weakness was still present afterwards. please give me any insight or feedback on what this could possibly be..thanks

Dr Rahul kulkarni
June 29, 2009
Votes: +0
Consultant neurologist

Dear Mahesh,
From your symptoms, it is difficult to say what is it? One thing is sure. You need to see a doctor and get yourself examined.

Ana Popescu
October 25, 2009
Votes: +0
Can i have a child?

Hello Doctor,
I have a disease since 2001, some said neurovegetative distonia, some deep depression, some agoraphoby, some epilepsy. On my eeg it's nothing abnormal, and my tomography looks perfectlt normal too. My analisys, blook and tiroids, liver are normal too. Anyway, i took paroxetine 30mg/day and lamotrigine 200mg/day. Now i decided i wanna have a child. I stopped taking paroxetine few days ago.
1. How long do i have to wait untill paroxetine gets out from my body?
2. It's ok to have a baby if i take 200mg lamotrigine per day?
3. When should i start taking folic acid and how much?
Thnak you so much!

Dr. Rahul Kulkarni
November 10, 2009
Votes: +0
Re: Can i have a child?

Dear Ana,

Thanks for the question.
Here are the answers.

1. Once the drugs are stopped, the effect should not last for long and you can take a chance once paroxetine is stopped.
2. With drug like lamotrigine 200 mg/day, there is a minor chance of having some problem to babies. Of course you do serial sonographies and certain blood tests to look for any major complications.
3. Start taking folic acid 2 to 5 mg/day

Thanking you,

Dr Rahul Kulkarni,
Pune, India

December 07, 2009
Votes: +1
Ankle Bone

Hello Dr Rahul,
In recent days [some 2-3 months back] my mother had a very bad pain in back and left leg completely. So we went to one of Nuerologist and diagnosed that there's an sudden growth of one of ankle bone in left leg which is blocking blood supply and hence it's paining. This came up in MRI test.

Doctor had given some tablets/lotion by which it was ok for a month but again started, the day tablets finished. Finally doctor suggested for an operation to cut the bone which has come out.

Can you please suggest and will operation really work here ?


Dr Rahul Kulkari
December 09, 2009
Votes: +0
Re: Ankle Bone

Dear Anup,

It seems more of bone problem than neuro related. You need to consult ortho doctor than neuro.

Dr Rahul Kulkarni

December 14, 2009
Votes: +0

hello doc.
my sister is 16 yr old.in 2005 she was fall in bathrum ,we consulted local child specilist,he has given medicens for 3 yrs and after that he told ,takemedicens if you have headchache....but 3 days before same thing happened to her...
her eyes not look normal and also froth...pls help me out what is this exactly?

February 06, 2010
Votes: +0

Hi Doctor,

Manytimes I feel vibrations in my body.

Like some persons feel on their left/right eyes...

I am very much worried about it.

Sometimes it persist for 10-3 seconds and it repeated many times.

Please suggest.

Nitil Chaudhry
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

L B Singh
February 06, 2011
Votes: +0
Please suggest ..

Hello Dr. Rahul,

My son at the age of 12, became silent,slow and weak in studies. Neuropsychiatrist, diagnosed his problem as abcession or schizophrenia. He was given Qutan forsix months, skizoril for next 3 years, soltus and Nuton plus for four months and pallido OD-3 for 2 years till 2010. Since 2009 he kept his hand twisted wrist down for about 10 months, we thought it is a behavioral problem.When we told this to doctor he stopped pallido and started Comantrel-100 and Hexyl, which causes shivering, and worsening of his abnormal behaviour. We consulted many other doctors but there is no improvement. We are from Lucknow and want to pursue some better treatment here. Please suggest.

August 05, 2011
Votes: +0
Need suggestions..

I was diagnosed with cluster headache (by You). thanks for the medication which now stands to be discontinued but now it seems to be neutralized. thats not what I wish to bring to your notice. I fear my learning abilities are at mercy if You could recollect... is it time to seek a mentor or time to start medication ?

Prashant Kamath
October 20, 2011
Votes: +0
Please opine

My wife who is on anti psychotic medications since the last year or so gets occasional blackouts lasting only a few seconds causing her to lose balance.Her MRI brain with venography done recently was reported within normal limits.Can it be due to epilepsy?

Ganesh Prasad
October 30, 2012
Votes: +0
suffering from urinary irritation

I am gettin burning sensation while urinating. It is been happening since more than 1 month. I had a medical check up urine check up. They could only find 2 to 3 blood cells. Couple of months back I was diagnosed for kidney stone and the report is normal now. Cosumed medicines in regular basis but the problem has not been completely eradicated yet and it is recurring. Please give me some remedy

Write comment

The comment option is for expressing your comments on the article/content.Please do not use it to ask queries. It is difficult for us to keep track of the numerous comments and forward them to the concerned doctor/s.Comments are published and form part of the page, it would be incorrect to have medical queries which are personal in nature, be available for public viewing.If you have a specific medical query, please use the Health Directory/Ask The Doctor section or write to This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

smaller | bigger

security image
Write the displayed characters